Does whatsapp use your phone number? Explained
Last Updated on December 13, 2021 by Kennedy
There’s no doubt that Whatsapp is one of the best instant messaging app in the world today, aside from imessage which is only available for ios users.
With WhatsApp you can seamlessly send messages to anywhere in the world (countries that didn’t restrict whatsapp), send pictures and videos, make a video call or voice call from anywhere you are.
Now the question is;
Does whatsapp use your phone number?
Pratically, WhatsApp will use your number to open and operate a whatsapp account as you cannot use whatsapp without linking a phone number to the whatsapp messenger or whatsapp account.
In this sense whatsapp indeed will use your number as a phone number is very much compulsory.
However, you can chose not to use your phone number to open a whatsapp account, and I have the best way which you can go about it.
If you are new to whatsapp messenger kindly note that you will have to link a phone number to your whatsapp account.
- Is your whatsapp number the same as your phone number?
- What happens when you unblock someone on whatsapp? Well explained
Now if you don’t fancy using your phone number for your whatsapp account, below is how to go about it and forget asking does whatsapp use your phone number.
By using google voice for whatsapp account
Google voice is the bear means to get an assigned phone number which you will use for whatsapp account if you don’t fancy using your phone number for whatsapp.
Once you registered with an account with Google voice, you will be assigned a phone number and this phone number automatically becomes yours and permanently.
With the phone number you can make calls and receive calls, send and receive text messages and this includes receiving WhatsApp verification code.
Now I want you to know that Google voice is an instant messaging service and it requires internet connection to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages.
Now let’s head over on how to create a Google voice account.
To get started i recommend you to first download and install the google voice app on your android phone or on your Iphone or iPad.
After you have downloaded and installed the app in your mobile phone, open the app to get started with your account creation.
1. Open the google voice app on your iPhone or android phone.
2. Kindly select your Google account which you will use to attach a Voice number to and tap “Continue.”
For iPhone users you have to create a Google account in order to use the voice app. Android users you have to select any of your google account if you have multiple accounts with Google for this Google voice app.
3. On the next window, tap “Search” in the lower-right corner to select a Google Voice number. This is followed by entering your zip code or city to load a list of regionally relevant numbers for you to choose from.
You will see list of phone numbers based on the zip code you entered.
4. You have to select your preferred phone number by tapping on the blue button next to the phone number you prefer to use for your google voice account.
5. Google will display the phone number once more on your screen and you have to accept the phone number you selected or you can press the back button to select another phone number.
6. On the next screen is to link the phone number and your google voice account to your android phone or iPhone.
7. What follows next will be to enter your mobile number and mind you Google voice will send a verification code to the phone number.
So you better enter a valid phone number or phone number that is active and Google will send a six digit code to the phone number.
8. On the next screen, enter the code texted to your phone before selecting “Verify.”
You have now verified and created a Google voice account, and using assigned number you create a whatsapp account using the number. The verification code will be sent to the google voice app and you will enter the code into your whatsapp messenger.
If you are so bothered if at all does whatsapp use your phone number, kindly use a Google voice assigned and you are good to go.
You can create a Google voice account on your computer in case you prefer to use google on your computer than your mobile phone.
To do so;
1. To create a Google voice on your windows or Mac computer, get started by opening the Google Voice website.
2. You have to sign into your Google account as Google voice requires an active Google account, so kindly do that.
3. Enter your area code or city in the Google Voice text box and in the drop-down that shows, kindly select your preferred phone number.
4. On the next window you will be prompted to verify your existing phone number. Tap “Verify” on the page and enter the number you want to use for your google voice account.
Please make the phone number is active and very valid because you have to verify the number.
5. Tap “Send Code.” Once you receive the verification code in either via text message or phone call, kindly enter the code it into the box provides for it and tap “Verify.”
6. To confirm that this is the number you want use for your google voice account, tap “Claim.” It will prompt you to click “Finish” twice before you’re done.
With this you can easily link your google voice number to your whatsapp account and avoid using your main phone number for your whatsapp especially if you are so much bothered on the question of does whatsapp use your phone number.
However, one of the disadvantage of the google voice is that it is not available for all countries.
Is WhatsApp linked to a phone number?
Yes of course, all whatsapp account must be linked to a phone number as whatsapp uses a phone number in creating a user’s account.
Without a phone number and active internet connection, whatsapp will never work on your device.
Can you use WhatsApp without your phone number?
You can use whatsapp without your main phone number, and the likes of Google voice will perfectly do the job for. But remember that you must link a phone number to your whatsapp account for it to work.
How can I use WhatsApp without showing my number
As at the time of writing this article, there’s no way you can use whatsapp without showing your phone number, it must be displayed in groups if you belong to any, or those that have you in their whatsapp account.
Once again if you are not comfortable displaying your number in your whatsapp account or asking does whatsapp use your phone number, kindly use google voice and have a peace of mind.
Scroll up and you will see how you can use google voice or get an assigned phone number.
With all explained in this article, there’s no need asking does whatsapp use your phone number cause indeed whatsapp will use your phone number to link to your whatsapp account.
If you are not comfortable providing your phone number, then open a google voice account and use the assigned number for your whatsapp account. Remember, Google voice is free to use unless you went for the business account.